The Carlilian Foundation, named for Charles W. Carl, Jr.'s mother, Lilian Carl, was created as a way to express the philanthropic intent of Mr. Carl and his family, and to give back to the community he so loved. The Carl family, which owned the Carl Company department stores in Schenectady, New York from 1906 to 1984, was instrumental in the development and growth of the Schenectady business community. The Carl's were leaders in the community's philanthropic causes as well.
Charles W. Carl, Jr., who became president of the Carl Company in 1956, was a 1941 graduate of Nott Terrace High School, and later graduated from Syracuse University. A quintessential gentleman, Chuck left an indelible mark on his community. Organizations such as Proctor's Theatre, Ellis Hospital, United Way and the YMCA have benefited greatly from his leadership and generosity.
Mr. Carl was president of the Animal Protective Foundation, director of the Schenectady Senior Citizens Center, and an active board member of Ellis Hospital for 18 years. He was also on the boards of the Ingersoll Memorial Home for Men, Schenectady Museum, Community Chest and a trustee of the Twin Rivers Boy Scout Council. Chuck was named Patroon by the city of Schenectady in 1984.
A member of the Trustco Bank board for 40 years, he was also a member of the Northeast Parent & Child Society, Mohawk Golf Club, Chamber of Commerce and a trustee of Green Mountain College.
In addition, he was a founder, and later a significant donor to The Schenectady Foundation, who's mission has been to support the successful development of the Schenectady community for nearly forty years.
At the time of his death in 2001, Charles W. Carl, Jr.'s estate provided significant funds to a number of non-profit organizations, including the Carlilian Foundation and the Schenectady Rose Garden Restoration Committee. His legacy of devotion and caring continues through the work of these organziations, and through all the people touched by his generosity and kind spirit.
The Carl Company Department Store on State Street in Schenectady, NY
Situated next to Proctor's Theatre and Proctor's Arcade, the department store was a downtown landmark and a hub of downtown retail activity. It was owned by the Carl family from 1906 to 1984.